Secret shame?

It seems to me that many black people are made to be ashamed of being black- as if they could hide or minimize it. It not a blaring shame, like bleaching skin or any other extremes, but something more subtle. It comes out in slightly altered behaviors or decision changes that take the path of least resistance, as opposed to what would be natural. I see it happen all the time, and it breaks my heart. Have you ever heard a black person show disdain for "black names", like Jamal(which means Beautiful King, by the way), Tyrone, or anything ending in "isha"(Takisha, LaQuisha, TatalaLisha)? It's an old joke now: "I don't want them to know my baby is black until he gets to the interview." Well, I'm not laughing. You can name your baby Amy, Trent, or Sven all you want, but he still will be black for the rest of his life- there's no hiding it. So why deny him a name with roots?
But it's more than just names.
Have you ever altered your behavior to avoid fitting a stereotype? Chosen not to get fried chicken because you didn't want to look a certain way? When's the last time you ate some watermelon? Why should you have to not eat or do certain things? Will they make you appear blacker, or as I have heard said, more "niggerish"?
Ever know you've been witness to racism, but held your tongue because you didn't want to "play the race card"? Well I got news for you: "the race card" isn't something black people are supposed to say. Unless you don't think racism really exist, in which case, please slap yourself.
Even Ray Nagin has to hold his tongue in order to keep from appearing to say things that are pro-black. He IS black, so saying things that seem pro-black should be expected.
That's the reason I started this blog. To give you a daily dose of blackness, in hopes if instilling some pride in those who need it. This blog is about relating stories and sharing perspectives that matter to my people. Welcome to Black on Black.

No comments:

Post a Comment